271st Judicial District Courtroom | Decatur, TX National Adoption Day | November 7th, 2018 at 9:30am
Mary Lois is the organizer of Wise County National Adoption Day. If you have any questions about volunteering or participating in this event please contact her at email@example.com. Please check back for more details as National Adoption Day 2018 draws near.
About National Adoption Day
National Adoption Day is a collective national effort to raise awareness of the more than 110,000 children in foster care waiting to find permanent, loving families. A coalition of national partners – Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, The Alliance for Children’s Rights and Children’s Action Network – sponsor National Adoption Day.
National Adoption Day is a collective national effort to raise awareness of the more than 110,000 children in U.S. foster care waiting to find permanent, loving families. This annual, one-day event has made the dreams of thousands of children come true by working with policymakers, practitioners, and advocates to finalize adoptions and create and celebrate adoptive families.
In total, National Adoption Day has helped nearly 65,000 children move from foster care to a forever family. When National Adoption Day began in 2000, it was with seven cities in which courtrooms opened on the Saturday before Thanksgiving to finalize adoptions. Now, 17 years later, more than 430 cities across the country, including Washington, D.C., Guam and Puerto Rico dedicate a day during November to the finalization of hundreds and hundreds of adoptions. More than 5,100 children have their adoption finalized during a National Adoption Day celebration each year.
*This information is provided by NationalAdoptionDay.org
- More than 425,000 children in foster care in the U.S.
- 110,000 children in foster care are available to be adopted, meaning the parental rights have been terminated
- Since 2000, 65,000 children have been adopted in National Adoption Day events
- Children in foster care are there through no fault of their own and in many cases are victims of crime
- Each year more than 50,000 children are adopted from foster care
- Each year more than 20,000 children age out of foster care with no family
- A national survey done by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption in 2013 revealed that 47 million Americans have considered foster care adoption.
- There are many celebrities who have been adopted from foster care, including Olympian Simone Biles.
- To find out more about foster care adoption here
- More information on National Adoption Day
* Unless otherwise indicated, statistics are provided by the 2015 report done by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families Administration on Children AFCARS Report.